There is no one single way to quit smoking but knowing your options will allow you to prepare and be ready to face the obstacles along the way. Consider which of these might work for you:
What are the various methods for smoking cessation?
1) Cold Turkey
This involves deciding on a date to completely stop smoking and stick to it (0 cigarettes) without any outside support such as therapy or medicine.
2) Count down method
Instead of cutting cigarettes out completely, you can gradually reduce the number of cigarettes per day and aim to reach 0 cigarette by a set date.
Nicotine replacement therapy is readily available through the pharmacies. These can help to relieve withdrawal symptoms, reduce cravings and allow the body to slowly cut down its dependence on nicotine when you have cut out cigarettes completely.
Prescription only medications such as varenicline and bupropion blocks the reinforcement and reward of nicotine and are suitable for those who prefer gradual reduction of cigarettes to complete abstinence.
4) Get professional help from smoking cessation trained advisors.
Trained smoking cessation advisors, such as smoking cessation counsellors, pharmacists and doctors will assess your level of addiction and tailor a quit plan for you.
Studies have shown that medications when coupled with counselling can double your changes of quitting for good. Feel free to approach our friendly pharmacists who will be able to advise you and provide support during your journey to quit smoking. You can visit your nearest Unity Pharmacy and approach our pharmacists on duty for more information.
No matter which method you choose, it is crucial to build a plan that works for you. Start with knowing your reasons for kicking the habit and reminding yourself of those reasons during tough times. Learn to identify your triggers and how to avoid them. Gather your support from family and friends. Quitting is not going to be easy and many people have gone through the process multiple times before they manage to quit for good. But it’s worth it.
You can also visit this i Quit registration link to kick start your smoking cessation journey.
- Quit Tobacco: How To Quit Smoking or Smokeless Tobacco. (n.d.). Retrieved from http://www.cancer.org/healthy/stayawayfromtobacco/guidetoquittingsmoking/guide-to-quitting-smoking-pdf.
- Treating Tobacco Use and Dependence – HPB-MOH Clinical Practice Guidelines 1/2013. (2013, May). Retrieved from https://www.hpb.gov.sg/docs/default-source/pdf/hpb-moh-clinical-practice-guidelines-treating-tobacco-use-and-dependence-2013.pdf?sfvrsn=1bf5eb72_0.
- For a smoke-free life. (n.d.). Retrieved from https://www.healthhub.sg/programmes/89/quit-smoking.
- Nazario, B. (2019, January 16). Ways to Quit Smoking: Cold Turkey, Nicotine Replacement Therapy, and More. Retrieved from https://www.webmd.com/smoking-cessation/quit-smoking#1.