What is Dengue?
Dengue fever is a disease caused by the dengue virus that can be transmitted to humans by the bite of an infected mosquito. The incubation period of dengue fever normally ranges from 3 to 14 days.
To prevent dengue fever, you must prevent the breeding of its carrier, the Aedes mosquitoes. Aedes mosquitoes are identified by the black and white stripes on their bodies. You can get rid of the Aedes mosquito by frequently checking and removing stagnant water in your home.
What are the signs and symptoms of Dengue fever?
- Sudden onset of fever
- Severe headache
- Pain behind the eyes
- Nausea and vomiting
- Joint and muscle pain
- Skin rashes
- Mild bleeding (Nose or gum bleed, easy bruising)
Do seek medical attention immediately if you feel unwell.
What are the treatment options?
There are currently no specific treatments for Dengue. Management will be supportive in nature; such as plenty of rest, drinking adequate fluids to prevent dehydration. Paracetamol may be taken to relieve fever and pain.
What are some of the preventive measures we can take?
- Apply insect repellent when you are outdoors.
- Wear light coloured long-sleeved shirts and pants, if possible.
- Spray insecticide in dark corners such as under bed, sofa, behind curtains at home
- Get rid of stagnant water and prevent mosquito breeding in your home before you travel.
- Do the 5-STEP MOZZIE WIPEOUT – a quick 10-minutes step mozzie prevention guide
Knowing the active dengue cluster around you
NEA uses a colour-coded alert system (Red, Yellow or Green) to indicate an active dengue cluster and the preventive measures residents can take.
Colour Coded Zone
High risk area with 10 or more cases
High risk area with less than 10 cases
No new cases, under surveillance for the next 21 days
Residents should also be alert of the active dengue clusters in or near your neighbourhood. You can visit https://www.nea.gov.sg/dengue-zika/dengue/dengue-clusters for more dengue clusters update.
Want to find out more?
Unity pharmacy maintains a whole range of insect repellents sprays and patches for your different needs. You can visit your nearest Unity Pharmacy and ask our friendly staff for the different types of insect repellents available in stores.
At Unity Pharmacy, we aim to help you protect your loved ones against Dengue.
- Dengue. (n.d.). Retrieved November 20, 2019, from https://www.healthhub.sg/a-z/diseases-and-conditions/192/topic_dengue_fever_MOH.
- Prevent Aedes Mosquito Breeding. (2019). Retrieved 28 November 2019, from https://www.nea.gov.sg/dengue-zika/prevent-aedes-mosquito-breeding
- Dengue Community Alert System. (2018). Retrieved 28 November 2019, from https://www.nea.gov.sg/dengue-zika/dengue/dengue-community-alert-system
- MOH | Dengue. (2019). Retrieved 28 November 2019, from https://www.moh.gov.sg/diseases-updates/dengue